Welcome to rootscamp 2020– the virtual edition! We are excited to be gathering to debrief on what has been an exciting and sometimes exhausting year. As we transition to an online space, we want to remind our community of our values and principles as well as some best practices to help ensure a productive conference for all!
Rootscamp is a place FOR
- Looking forward to what our progressive movement can accomplish
- Discussing priorities for progressive policy making in the coming year and years
- Sharing ideas, strategy, best practices, and experiences
- Connecting with others in the movement
- Uplifting, learning from, and affirming each other
Rootscamp is NOT a place for:
- Discriminatory or dismissive language, visuals, or actions
- Personal attacks or put-downs
- Hostility, threats or harassment
We take the safety of our community very seriously. Any use of threats, violence, or discriminatory language is NOT permitted and can result in removal from the event and a ban on joining future events.
Got a question or concern that needs immediate attention? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Best Practices
At rootscamp, we are committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all attendees, speakers, staff, and community members. We proudly embrace progressive values and viewpoints, but acknowledge that there is a spectrum of experiences and opinions. As such, as a community, we commit to the following values and practices:
- Our collective community supports equity, diversity, tolerance, and respect for all individuals, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, race, religion, age, physical or mental limitations, or economic status. Everyone has a role when it comes to creating safe and inviting spaces for all.
- We intentionally create spaces where all voices are valued and can be heard. We strive to elevate the voices of marginalized communities who don’t often have the platform to be heard. We ask our members to be active and respectful listeners, and to “Step up and step back” during conversations.
- We embrace diverse perspectives and opinions and strive to learn from them. Please listen to other experiences and viewpoints with an open and mind and heart. We want conversations to be productive and respectful, and acknowledge that there are times when calling out poor behavior is important, and other times where calling in may be more beneficial. (For context on calling out versus calling in, please see this overview from Seed The Way.)
- In an online space, tone and context may not be conveyed in the same manner as they would in person. Please be mindful of the words you use when engaging with others in sessions, on social posts, in messages and in any other communications.
- Threats, “jokes” at another’s expense, trolling, or any other forms or harm or harassment are strictly prohibited.